Friday, January 24, 2020

revised priorities

I'm going to be away from home for a month so I'm revising my priorities.  I finished the basic cutting on the Bonnie Hunter Frolic, so will be ready to start sewing on that.  I'm going to defer the Westalee blocks, and the block contest goals until March.  Will work on the mini quilts, and making a baptismal gown for Elin.

Rant:
 The "mystery" concept of Bonnie Hunter is not one I like.  I fine with a mystery that spreads clues or directions out over a period of time and doesn't reveal the finished quilt until the end.  But Ms. Hunter drafts clues that seem to me to be purposely opaque in withholding information.  This particular quilt requires that certain pieces of the block be all the same fabric, so a totally scrappy look would not work.  So there have to be 4 hsts and 4 quarter triangles of the same fabric, and similar requirements on other elements.  It would have been easy for her to say, use 2 strips of 2 1/2 inch fabric that are at least x inches long and place them right sides together.  I learned from experience by starting with a strip that was too short.  It was just a waste of fabric, and very annoying.
And the second and third clues were for elements that won't be used until assembling the final quilt! (Why not start with the elements that go into the basic blocks?)  I personally think this is poor writing, and confuses and frustrates a beginner quilter.  How many of us have started one of her mysteries and just given up in frustration?
Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment