Thursday, January 9, 2020

work in process on Elin's quilt

Yesterday I got past the hard step of making the quilt sandwich.  In the past I have used the "board basting" system, but I went back to my old method of taping the backing, batting and front to the floor, and then pinning.   It was important to get the horizontal border on the backing to match up with the bottom of the top (sounds weird), so having it all laid out flat where I could see the lines was very important.  Since the quilt marking pen I used on the top is sensitive to heat, I couldn't use fusible batting either.
I used a 100% cotton low loft batting that I had on hand.  It had a scrim so I had to look up how to use it.
I learned a new memory device:  "Dimples up, pimples down. "  If the batting has been needled, to prevent bearding, the direction of the needling needs to go to the back.  so the "dimples" where the needles enter go up and the bumps created by the needles go to the back (pimples).
As to scrim, it's a mixed bag.  In this case, the scrim was on the back so it went on the back.

I did press the batting to remove creases from the folds and smooth it out.

Here are some process photos.  I actually cut the backing a little too large; normally it and the batting would be about 4 inches wider than the top on each side.
This first picture shows the batting folded in half so it could be centered on the backing.  Turned out it needed to be a bit lower than centered vertically, to cover the horizontal.
This next one shows the top positioned over the backing and batting.

and now the top is taped down both to the batting/backing and to the floor.

Then I proceeded to pin all three layers together.  I have no problem working with the pins, and pinning is faster than basting, in my opnion.  


No comments:

Post a Comment