Wednesday, December 4, 2019

2019 31-day blog challenge: favorite tools

Well, I have a lot of tools, but my basic rotary cutter, mat and rulers are my favorite tools.  And "Mr. Jack" the seam ripper. also glass headed pins. I am a pinner; otherwise my fabric pieces tend to slide. And sealable plastic bags of all sizes.  I use them to organize pieces and blocks.
As to rulers, I mostly use a 6x24, 6x 12 and a 6 inch square, but I have so many more.  I have many different angles of triangle rulers but really don't like sewing triangle so don't use them very often.
I also like using the retractable metal measuring tape for measuring borders, binding, etc.  I just lay the fabric on the floor, and use the metal tape.  It is helpful to have a locking one.
Phone camera.  I use it to:
--evaluate block placement
--evaluate color choices (sometimes the color filter, sometimes black and white to see value)
--shopping reminder
--catalog my quilts
--pictures of completed kits in a lqs when I buy a kit, for future reference
--pictures of quilts that inspire me, quilt shows, etc.
--pictures of other quilt inspiration (nature, etc.)
--listen to podcasts, like just wanna quilt, or audio books while I quilt
--read quilters' blogs, watch tutorials (altho I use my laptop more for this, to get a bigger screen
--order fabric!
plastic binding clips

Tools I have and don't use:
I think I have acquired two of those binding rulers with the angle for cutting the binding.  Frankly, I could never make it work.  I saw a video tutorial on how to overlap the two ends of the binding by the width of the binding and then join, so that seems to work for me.  I need to remember to put those tools on the swap table!  I also have a quilters' color wheel, but I've never really used it.  My own eye for color seems to get me through.  In fact, fabric selection is my favorite part of quilting.  (as it was with garment sewing).  I would be happy if I had a robot to push the pieces through the machine!

1 comment:

  1. Hi. Like you I have lots of tools I love and use regularly and some that never come out of the cupboard. Good luck on the challenge. I’ll be back to visit again soon.

    ReplyDelete