Monday, December 23, 2019

2019 blog Challenge - Day 23 - Prewash!

Yes, Prewash.
I was somewhat an agnostic on this topic until I had a completed quilt almost ruined by some red blocks than ran when I washed it. This I-spy quilt was made for my grand niece, and I had the I-spy squares grouped by color, so there was a large nine-patch (with a center white) square, composed of red novelty fabrics, and surrounded by white sashing.  This quilt was intended to be used and washed, so I washed it before sending it off as a gift. The red apply fabric ran badly when I washed it.  With rewashing with massive sheets of color catchers (and some tide bleach stick applied to the white stitching, most of the bleed was removed.
Now I prewash everything as soon as the fabric walks in the door (other than charm packs, layer cakes or jelly rolls. I do prewash fat quarters).
This was the nine-patch at risk, after successful treatment,  and there is still some pink tone in the middle square.  I really panicked when I first saw the bleed, as I had paid my long-armer $200 or so for the quilting, and spent hours putting the quilt together.  The parents of the niece are sort of "high fashion" people, so I couldn't give them a quilt that had this kind of bleeding on it.  So happy when my rewashing fixed it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story and experience. I "tend" toward not prewashing but red and other dark colors can be risky.

    ReplyDelete