Sunday, December 15, 2019

2019 Blog Challenge - Day 15 - Earliest memory of sewing

I have 3 memories of sewing from my childhood (me trying to sew, not my mom).  I don't know which was earliest, so no particular order.
1. Sewing a skirt for a Revlon doll (early competitor of Barbie).  I still have the unfinished work in a collection of keepsakes.
2. using yarn to sew on a pre-punched pattern card
3.  an embroidery set that I received as a gift in my dad's company family Christmas party.  Embroidery is actually a hard way to begin, because it is very confusing to get used to which is the top and which is the bottom, and the hoop sort of gets in the way.  I think it is probably easier to hand sew two pieces of fabric together.

I also did some sewing in 5th-6th grade in my Girl Scout troop.

I definitely started sewing with a machine in the 8th grade when I took home economics.  We made a pillow, a gathered skirt, and a box pleated skirt.  Learned how to make gathers, pleats, waist band, set in a zipper.  There weren't enough machines for each woman in the class, so we had a project of smocking a gingham pillow when we didn't have access to the machine.
All of these projects were done with class instruction from the teacher - no written pattern.
example:  we measured our waists and then multiplied it by 2? I think.  Then we gathered the pieces to fit and made the waistband.
For the pleated skirt, I think we multiplied the waist by 3.  Then we made a pleating card that was 1/10 of the waist measurement. We made each 3 layered pleat around the card.
Simpler times...

No comments:

Post a Comment