Sunday, December 22, 2019

2019 Blog Challenge - day 22 -What I listen to/watch

I was an audio book listener before audio books were cool.  (that is, they were "books on tape").
I think I first got started with tapes that I checked out from our public library.  Back then I was driving a 1994 Chevy Suburban (which we still have), and it had both a tape drive and a CD player.
I had a long commute, so audiotapes made the frequent traffic delays tolerable and my blood pressure more stable.

For a few years we even had a store in Dallas that rented audio tapes. One of the earliest favorite audiotapes was Cold Sassy Tree.  Also loved dramatic performances of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.  We often played audio books on car trips to Colorado, and our adult children still remember some of them.  Reading a books and listening to a book are different experiences, but both are worthwhile.

Of course then the formats changed to CDs.

About 5 years or so our public library introduced the Overdrive app (now updated to the Libby app), so that I can download audiobook onto my iPhone.
I've listened to so many of our library's audio books that I've pretty much run through its collection.
So this past year I've started subscribing to Audible.  The nice benefit is the two free monthly Audible originals, which have often been quite well performed.

The only downside of Audible is the difficulty of sharing the book with other family members, which I can obviously do with a physical book.

So, I listen to audio books when I cut & sew.  (sometimes hard to hear when sewing, but headphones help).
So it's nice to have two wonderful pleasures going on at the same time - listening to a good story and sewing.
My reading tastes are literary fiction, mysteries, and memoirs (not so much biographies).
My favorite audio listens this year, no order:
On Power, Caro
The Green Road, Ann Enright
In a Dark Dark Wood, R. Ware
The Canterbury Tales
Becoming, Michelle Obama
The Overstory, Richard Powers F
Foundation, Asimov
The Rise & Fall of the British Empire (The Great Courses)
Sacre Blue, C. Moore
The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman
The Sentry, Robert Crais
Where the Crawdads Sing
Nightwoods, Charles Frazier
The Girl in the Spider's Web
In Sunlight & in Shadow, Mark Helprin
1356, Cornwell
A Rule against Murder, Penny
The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion, Fannie Flagg
Around the World in 80 Days
the Silk Roads
Less, Andrew Sean Greer
Indian country Noir
All my Sons, Arthur Miller
Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire (the one book I had skipped)
The Dispatcher, John Salzi
The Human Comedy, Saroyan
When Breath Becomes Air
At Home, Bryson
Treasure Island
Big Sky, Kate Atkinson
Second Hand Souls, C. Moore
True West, Sam Shepherd
The Song of Achilles, Miller
I'll be Gone in the Dark
Shortest Way Home, Pete Buttegieg (great memoir, regardless of politics)
Tender is the Night, Fitzgerald
Before We WEre Yours, Wingate
An Odyssey: A Father, A Son & an Epic
The Silent Patient
Washington Black
Pont Neuf

No comments:

Post a Comment