Monday, December 16, 2019

2019 Blog Challenge - Day 16 - Why Do I Sew

1. Desire to create something with color, solve the "design" problem
2. Family and friends who will benefit from a gift of a quilt (or other handmade item).
3. Peace of mind (in the zone) from sewing
4. For handwork, like to keep my hands busy while watching tv or riding in a card
5. Intellectual interest of learning new techniques, history of textiles
6. Pleasure of sewing with women friends.  I worked outside the home in a demanding career for all my life, so just now discovering in retirement the pleasures of sitting with friends and talking while sewing. (somewhat the same with work friends and Scout and soccer parents, but not exactly the same).
7. Creating items with a winsome or humorous perspective.  I made a black and white "tessellated" cat quilt with yellow trim that was an homage to "Millions of Cats" by Wanda Gag, a book read by Captain Kangaroo on tv when I was a child.  The rebus song references in my Beatles quilt.
My "I spy Texas Innovation" quilt that uses hundreds of novelty squares to recognize the industries, games, foods and flowers of Texas.  My gnome quilt, Gnome Family Album.  An I Spy quilt for a grandniece who had lived in NYC and London, featuring fabrics from the USA and UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment