Monday, December 30, 2019

2019 Blog Challenge - Day 30 - My First 2020 Project

My first 2020 project is a baby quilt for my granddaughter Elin.  My son and his darling wife like modern quilt style and asked for a quilt without a baby theme.  They gave me several references on Pinterest, and I picked this Tiny Tiles version.
There are 120 5.5 inch blocks with little triangles at each corner.  the pattern is supposed to be totally random, but I set an arbitrary rule of not repeating a color in any block, and I mostly did not repeat colors at a corner. I have completed all the blocks and have sewed together 8 of the twelve rows.  Then I will sew the rows together.  The pattern has simple diamond quilting pattern echoing the little diamond corners, so I think I will quilt this myself.
Here is my layout before sewing, laid out on a bed.  the final layout will be slightly different, because my cat decided to burrow under the covers before I had a chance to gather the blocks in an organized fashion.


The back will be mostly white, but I found this wonderful Sarah Jane fabric when I was buying the solids for this project, and it will be the bottom border of the quilt on the back.  I'm toying with a large applique of a balloon at the top of the back with Elin's name embroidered on it, with the string trailing down to the print. 
This is the free online pattern I am using: https://www.purlsoho.com/create/2015/06/08/tiny-tile-quilt/

No comments:

Post a Comment